Skip to Main Content

City News

Train FAQ's

Train Complaint FAQs

There is a non-moving train that has been blocking the roadway for a long period of time, who can I contact?

Call 911.

Yes that's right, call 911.  The 911 operator has the information to directly route a call to the proper contacts to get the road crossing unblocked.  Tell the 911 dispatcher it is a non-emergency so they can call the proper contacts.

If you are having trouble with a train that routinely blocks a roadway for long periods of time but is NOT CURRENTLY blocking a road you can call the Federal Railroad Administration Hot Line: (800) 724-5993

FRA recommends that railroads work cooperatively with state and local officials to eliminate or minimize the impact of blocked crossings wherever possible. Contact the Federal Railroad Administration to report the complaint.

There are no federal laws that regulate the length of time a train may block a grade crossing. Such a law could have the undesirable effect of causing a railroad to violate other federal safety rules.

Federal Railroad Administration

61 Forsyth St SWSuite 16T20

Atlanta, GA 30303-3104

Phone: (404) 562-3800Hot Line: (800) 724-5993


How do I get a whistle ban / quiet zone in my area?

The public authority in your area may establish a whistle ban or quiet zone by following the procedures established by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) in the Train Horn Final Rule as amended on August 17, 2006 Ref: 49 CFR part 222. Information on this procedure can be found at the FRA website at or by contacting the GDOT Utilities Railroad Crossing Engineer.


How do I get gates at a railroad crossing?

No entity, public or private, is precluded from negotiating directly with the corresponding railroad to have train-activated warning devices installed at a particular crossing provided the requesting entity and/or the railroad are willing to fund the installation. Crossings located on public roads (i.e. state routes, county roads or city streets) are eligible for federal funding based on a priority basis. Crossings located on private property or drives are not eligible for this funding and any negotiations for active warning devices would be between the property owner and the railroad.

Upon written request, this office will conduct a Highway-Rail Engineering Analysis to determine the status of a said public crossing as it relates to the other 7,000+ public at-grade crossings statewide. If the investigation reveals the subject crossing as one of the state’s highest priorities, then a project will be initiated. For investigations resulting in a crossing being ranked well down the list, this office will do its best to provide an approximate timeframe for when the location may be eligible for inclusion in the federal program. However no guarantees are made since information affecting a crossings priority standing can change from year to year causing it to move up or down on the list.

Written requests for investigations on public roads should be sent to:

Georgia Department of Transportation

600 West Peachtree St, 10th Floor

Atlanta, GA 30308

Attn: Railroad Crossing Program Manager


The gates are down but there is no train coming, what should I do?

O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-140 prohibits proceeding around lowered crossing gates. If gates are down, please call the 1-800 number provided at the crossing (Example of Emergency Contact Number Information) and notify the railroad of the situation. Then proceed to a different location to cross. If no 1-800 number is provided, proceed to a different location to cross and notify the local law enforcement office of the situation.


There are no gates but the lights are flashing and I do not see a train, what should I do?

In accordance with O.C.G.A Section 40-6-140, a person shall stop within 50 feet but not less than 15 feet from the nearest rail and shall not proceed until he/she can do so safely, when:

  •                 A clearly visible electric or mechanical signal device gives warning of the immediate approach of a train
  •                 A crossing gate is lowered or a human flagman gives or continues to give a signal of the approach of the passage of a train
  •                  An approaching train is plainly visible and is in hazardous proximity to such crossing


How do I report an emergency on the tracks?

The Emergency Notification Systems (ENS) sign gives the public critical emergency contact information at every highway-rail grade crossing. The information on the ENS sign enables the public to reach the railroad responsible for the crossing and to identify the specific crossing in the event of an emergency.

In Case of Emergency, Use ENS Signs To Get Help

Report emergencies and safety concerns at a highway-rail grade crossing by using the information on the ENS sign at the grade crossing.

  •                   Locate the blue-and-white ENS sign at the grade crossing.
  •                   Call for help! Call the railroad’s emergency contact number listed on the ENS sign.
  •                   Communicate your location by providing the identification number and state the nature of the emergency to the dispatcher.

The signs contain the railroad’s emergency contact number and the U.S. Department of Transportation National Crossing Inventory Number, which identifies the exact location of the crossing to the railroads.